WHAT IS A CONFLICT?
It is an incompatible clash between a person and company. It is a serious disagreement or argument, between two persons.
Conflict is a disagreement, misunderstanding, trouble or crisis could be risen for certain reasons. You need conflict resolution process to bring in complete settlement.
WHAT IS CONFLICT RESOLUTION?
According to WIKIPEDIA, “Conflict resolution is conceptualized as the methods and processes involved in facilitating the peaceful ending of conflict and retribution.” Wikipedia
According to Matthew T. Page, a nonresident scholar at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace says, “In Nigeria, shifting alliances might indicate the construction of strong opposition coalitions, but the ever-changing political field may present challenges for building good governance.”
Prominent politicians will have issues against each other for awhile and settled out. In politics there is no permanent enemy.
There are different reasons for conflict to erupt, are as follows:
- It the taste for value. For example, working to achieve a kind of reward, profit or a seat of power.
- The interest for power or position. For example, from local government to state, from state levels to federal.
- The psychological differences. For example; some politician felt that, no one should come above them in politics of the state, which depicts ones still want to have control.
- When one has the interest for going higher without due process is been looked into. For example, some former State Governors working to be senators or becoming a President.
- The imbalance in sharing. For example, zoning system that is based on impunity. The quest for political appointment without due process is followed. The lacking for social justice, due to religion and tribalism.
The quest for power or control if not carefully handled by political power-might will emit to political conflict; crisis. It also the incompatibility between a person and his party, between a party and some key members, between a party and another or within the political system with regard to the insecurity of the population, the integrity of the state, will be at stake.
It has the potential to affect the socioeconomic, cultural or political well being of the nation.
In politics, conflict is not permanent. When there is a misunderstanding. If due means of the conflict resolution is followed the said conflict; tension. This could be resolved mutually without allow it to re-escalate between the two or more parties.
(In our next edition we shall be looking at the, “Healthy Ways To Make Resolution Mutually”)